Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year fellow musicians and readers (I think there are one or two of you - I actually got some comments - yay)!

I was thinking about this the other day, and I believe this January marks my 5th year with the band. Crazy how time flies along with fingers and tongues on all those barn burners we've performed. I could get into them, but that's not what this blog post is about!

This is about the new year. For us, it begins under a new (interim) director - Don Glassel. Well, he's not technically new, he's been our associate conductor for a while now, and I am personally excited to have him take the helm. Afterall, we're used to working with Don already from time to time, so it's comforting (like a cup of hot chocolate). But, we're not used to working with him for an entire program's worth of music. That's where I'm excited.
I don't know Don very well personally, but I know he has spent some time under the baton of the great Miles Johnson. Miles "Mity" Johnson was the director of the St. Olaf Band for many years, before Tim Mahr took the helm. Now, I have studied under Tim Mahr, and got to play under Mity once or twice, so, really, in the way of music, Don is like a cousin of mine.

Don did a great job in his first full rehearsal. As a musician, I really appreciate his attention to musicality. A first rehearsal back after break is always a bit rusty, and you tend to really just read through stuff and not pay attention to dynamics and such. But, Don is a stickler for those quiet moments and will not settle for a pianissimo coming out as a "mezzo whatever". I love that. It's good for us.

The folder has some interesting numbers in it already, and it sounds like we're getting the super hard pieces next week. Can't wait! Stay tuned.

No comments: