Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Top Ten Moments to Listen For

Thought I'd give you a list of the top 10 moments I'm looking forward to hearing in the concert.

10. Elegy for a Young American - at rehearsal number 4, when the clarinets come in with the new melody line (clearly I'm a little biased).

9. Partita - the Chorale and Variations (second) Movement - the horn choir at the beginning.

8. Partita - again, the Chorale and Variations Movement - the variation at 60, with the eighth notes on top of the Dies Irae.

7. Pictures at an Exhibition - Catacombe Movement. The power of the brass is amazing (I just hope it doesn't blow the woodwinds off the stage).

6. The Padstow Lifeboat - the "Victory at Sea" part after the cantabile section.

5. Pictures at an Exhibition - the Bydo (Ox-Wagon) movement. The whole thing. I just love it.

4. Lollapalooza - at 92, where the trumpets play before the percussion takes over and the flutes spazz. I honestly like that section, but I mostly like it because John describes it as such. :)

3. Pictures at an Exhibition - Ballet Des Poussins Dan Leurs Coques. It's just cute and the woodwinds get to shine.

2. Pictures at an Exhibition - the last movement (La Grande Porte de Kiev), the clarinet/woodwind choirs at 106 and 109. Again I'm biased, but it's so pretty after all the loud fanfares.

1. Lollapalooza - the last 12 measures. Because I know if we've made it here, and we're mostly together, we'll make to to the end and we pulled it off. :)

No comments: