Thursday, November 1, 2007

Woodshedding

So, we're working on hard on "woodshedding" (i.e. making sure things are very accurate, and attempting to add finesse) parts of the Hearshen (see previous post on Symphony on the Themes of John Philip Sousa). There's a tricky measure, where there's a lot of back and forth play between sections - beats one and three belong to one group of voices and beats two and four belong to another.

John has us work on it slowly - to make sure the notes all fall in line. It's the kind of thing you do over and over a few times and it gets better. But can you believe - the nerve! He wanted not only the right people to play at the right time (in tempo), but wanted all the right notes too! I might have mentioned this before, too, but there are accidentals all over this piece.

Speaking of accidentals, I'm starting to second guess myself with them. Sections I think I know, and I'm sure the F's are sharp and the B's are natural, suddenly I'm not sure. Oh vey.

I need to get my act together - and so do the rest of the woodwinds at 306! It sort of fell apart there this week when we worked on it. Instead of working us to death on it, John just trusted that it would work itself out. I hope he's right - for our sake and the audience!

No comments: