Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Progress


The 4th Movement of Ira Hearshen's Symphony on Themes of John Philip Sousa has proven to be quite challenging, and a pain point for most folks across the band. Looking at and listening to some of the challenging licks, we know this piece isn't an homage to the performers in anyway shape or form! But, we're persevering.


Aside: that's Mr. Hearshen on the left. I can't get over the fact that this is the guy who wrote music for Toy Story2 and a Bug's Life. Such nice, sweet movies. I'm sure the scores are challenging, but I'm not sure they are as challenging as this!

Last week, we started rehearsing at measure 250, which I had nearly forgotten about, because I was so concerned about 306 (more on that next week, I'm sure).


Even amongst the midst of sixteenth notes, sextuplets and boat loads of accidentals, I could hear things coming together. Not only are we getting more and more accurate (and faster - at least closer to the intended tempo), but we're paying attention to things musically.


In other news, we have another month to polish it up!
Our next concert: November 18th!



1 comment:

John May said...

I just listened to some of Mr. Hearshen's stuff. It sounds very cool! I'm looking forward to the concert!